Monday, February 6, 2012

Hidden Biases Test


In my Issues class I just took a race IAT test. It said that I slightly preferred Eastern European people over African Americans. Above is the averages of everyone who takes the test. I was very surprised by my results and I don’t think that it is very accurate. I personally have never felt a bias when I’m with the two different races and have always treated everyone the same. I have always felt that I was neutral and I still do. I really don’t think this test is very accurate. Some issues with it are, I forgot which key to press for correct or not and at first I didn’t understand what to do it took me two rounds to figure everything out and I still messed up which keys are which. I also think the order in which they show the pictures and words effects which one you press and sometimes accidentally hit the wrong one. I also felt like I should go quickly and felt rushed and didn’t really think things through. I wonder how the results work. I don’t understand how from clicking on random keys and matching words and pictures to what the words say at the top really accurately show what you are thinking. I personally don’t think you subconsciously hit the keys. You think about it and I kept messing up which keys were which.
After reading the FAQs I still don’t think this test is accurate. There is no way it can be. Although it can probably detect the extreme sides I really don’t think this test can in any way be accurate. I definitely think there are stereotypes and one of the FAQs does answer that. Someone had asked “why are there pictures of faces instead of names?” which creates a stereotype that shouldn’t be created about the different races. As bad and annoying and wrong as it is there are stereo types. There are definitely biases and some people are biased and don’t know it like saying a certain name goes with a certain race. But, I don’t think that putting random good words and bad words mixed with pictures of people from a different race and pressing a button to put them into categories is an accurate way to measure those biases.

No comments:

Post a Comment