Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Perks of Being a Wallflower- Finding the Right Person/People


"I just need to know that someone out there listens and understands and doesn't try to sleep with people even if they could have. I need to know that these people exist."(Chbosky 3) In the book "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" the main character says this quote at the very beginning. A lot of teenagers have this go through their head. They are trying to figure out life and the people around then yet all they see are the bad things. The news constantly tells them the and things going on around them. They have friends in bad high school relationships. Everything around them is negative, for the most part. They just want to know there are normal people out there.
When I first started to date I had a few bad relationships. I had a few that only cared about physical things, a few that cheated, and a few that all we did was fight. When I was going through all that I would say the same thing. Every teenager wants to know there are people out there that are good and just want to help others. It isn't easy going through high school as everyone experiences everything. Most things end badly.
For instance in my last post I talked about bad things that happen at parties. But there are also a lot of people that use other people, either for sexual favors or money or social status. Some people only get to meet those people and aren't lucky enough to see the larger world around them. They just want to know that there is someone out there that isn't just like everyone else. Someone that will be there for them. 
There are also people who look at others wishing they knew how they felt or that they could feel the same way. "I look at people holding hands in the hallways, and I try to think about how it all works. At the school dances, I sit in the background, and I tap my toe, and I wonder how many couples will dance to 'their song.' In the hallways, I see the girls wearing the guys’ jackets, and I think about the idea of property. And I wonder if anyone is really happy. I hope they are. I really hope they are." (24-25) In the beginning the narrator talks about how he needs to know there is someone out there to listen and understand him. Looking at other couples they can't help to think they have found that someone that is there for them and listens. There are people that sit there and wish they could find that someone that will listen and understand them. However, they feel the need to know if there is really someone out there for them. Most teenagers think they have to and will find that person by the time they graduate college. However, that is very rarely the case. They feel the need to find that person because they believe the people around them have found that. However, that isn't always the truth. From an outsiders perspective that how it seems though. Regardless, they ask the same question, is that person out there for me?
As teenagers that question is ringing in every teenager's head. The issue is when people get depressed and worried if they don't find that person while in high school. People need to notice there are more people out there than the few people in their high school and that they have so much to experience and people to meet. If they don't find that person in high school they will eventually. Maybe more than one person. However, some teenagers don't think that way. A lot of them get depressed and in a bad place because they don't see what the future holds. People need to be more open minded and see there is more to life than the people in high school trying to figure out who they are and the people they want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment